I am back home in the Northern Cape, trying to keep cool in these warm December temperatures. As usually I am busy with my December holiday job. This will be my last year of having a December holiday job, as I completed my Consumer Science: Food and Nutrition degree in mid November. I am lucky enough to have a new product development (NPD) position at a Tokai, (Cape Town) based company. So from January onwards I will officially be a working woman. I am beyond excited and blessed to have such a good position so soon after completing my qualification!
Being home means cooking in my mom’s kitchen and I must say – her grocery cupboards are more impressive than mine… Luckily for today’s recipe you don’t need any fancy ingredients. This granadilla panna cotta recipe was featured in one of Ultra Mel’s recipe books from years ago and is now one of my favourite summer desserts.
Granadilla panna cotta, serves 5
- 500ml Ultra Mel vanilla custard
- 2 x 110g (2 tins) granadilla pulp
- 15ml gelatine
- 30ml lukewarm water
- Extra granadilla pulp for decoration, optional
- Combine the custard and granadilla pulp and continue to mix well.
- Dissolve the gelatine in the lukewarm water in a small bowl placed in a pan of simmering water. Stir the gelatine mixture until dissolved.
- Add the dissolved gelatine to the custard mixture and stir.
- Lightly oil 4 ramekins/tea cups and divide the mixture evenly into the ramekins/tea cups. Place in the fridge to set for about 2 hours.
- Serve cold once set. For serving one can either serve it in the ramekin or tea cup and place a little extra pulp on the top of the dessert as a fresh pulp layer. Or turn out the panna cotta by running a knife along the sides of the ramekin/tea cup and turn it upside down on a serving plate and drizzle extra pulp around the panna cotta.
As Christmas holidays approach family will soon start arriving to celebrate the festive season. Try this easy and quick recipe to cool off with, there is no reason why one should spend hours in the kitchen to whip up something tasty.
For the festive season please do drive safe and enjoy this special time with friends and family. May it be a blessed season of love.